Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Congo and My Heart

Have you ever felt like you've been on a crazy, long journey and you stop to look around simply to find that God has brought you back to the same place you started from?  That's where we are: The Democratic Republic of Congo.

I suppose I should backtrack a bit for those of you that are wondering where on earth the idea of adopting a son from the DRC has come from.  When I was in high school, I was "forced" to read "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver.  To say it changed my life would be an understatement.  I had never looked outside of my little southern box until I lost myself in that book.  The Gospel was there, but in a weirdly distorted form.  Behind the words and the bizarre story stood a people that called out to my very soul.  I can't describe it in any other way than to say that God made me love this country.  I never really had a choice in the matter.

Fast forward through college, marriage, miscarriages, a domestic adoption, a biological baby, and my work with the foster care community and you can find me staring at a map and praying for a little boy in the Congo.

Sometimes, God whispers silently so that we have to strain to hear Him.  Sometimes.He sends us messengers.  Sometimes, circumstances simply lead us toward His will.  On March 24, 2014, He gave me a Vision.  

A little boy, not more than 4 or 5 years old, standing in the streets of Kinshasa.  He's alone and he's waiting for me.  

Friends, that's the only thing that we have to go on.  My heart has been shattered every moment since I saw him. I have no other explanation than that I simply KNOW in my heart that he is ours.  Now, we move forward despite all of the issues with DRC adoptions and pray that God will pave a way for us.  The road to our son is long and will certainly have many setbacks, but we must fight to bring him home.

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment